Monday 27 October 2014

OUGD602 - PPP3: Momo Hello Show Manchester (Momentum Worldwide)

Before I came to Leeds College of Art, I worked at a company called Pandora's Box. Whilst I was there, I was introduced to lots of different people, Callum being one of them. He came from a marketing background and so this was his position, focusing on PR, social media as well as marketing. I worked alongside Callum for up to 6 months before leaving to start my degree. Since then, he has also moved on and progressed and now works at Momentum in Manchester. 

During the Summer break I received a message from him asking whether I would like to go along to the Momo Hello Show. The flyer below explains what it is, with all of the details listed. I jumped at the chance and visited the studio! On arrival, each person who had signed up to the event was given a name badge and a drink and then asked to go through to the main reception area and view some examples of their work whilst networking. This was a fantastic opportunity and was also a great chance for me to continue to get used to approaching people and introducing myself. 

I had some business cards printed before the event so that I was able to give my details to the creative director if I was fortunate enough to meet him, which I was. We spoke about their work and about what I am interested in and he invited me to show my work later on in the evening in a separate 'show off' room, where I sat and discussed my designs. 

They seemed very impressed with the work I had to show and we spoke about the possibility of a placement in the future. I also spoke to one of their employee's who started working there straight after uni for a three month internship and then they employed her as a permanent member of staff. She had also just won the latest competition in work, where Momentum's employee's are given the opportunity to pitch for themselves to be flown out to the studio in New Orleans to work there for a couple of months! This would be such an amazing opportunity and something I could imagine myself doing in the future if I was to ever work for Momentum. 

I am constantly in touch with Callum and have also been in contact with Oli, the creative director, and so I am hoping to either visit them again or do a placement with them. However I know that they don't tend to just offer short term placement opportunities and focus on longer internships instead. This could therefore be something I could consider for next Summer. 

Attending this event not only allowed me to meet lots of like-minded people but it also really inspired me! I was exposed to an example of experiential marketing for the first time and this is now something that I am closely focusing on in my COP3 essay as well as for my practical outcome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment